Adding sound effects

Adding sound effects to a scene

We were tasked with adding ambient sound effects to a scene from a movie or TV show. I decided to go with No Country For Old Men again as the Hotel Showdown scene is devoid most background sounds and focuses on the sounds that are currently happening. It was because of this fact that I decided to use this scene as it would be perfect to add whatever sound I wanted as long as it was relevant to the scene and the setting of the movie. The following will show how the process of adding sound effects went overall.

Adding Pre-existing Sounds
When analysing the scene I noticed that Josh Brolin's character was in a hotel room but everything quiet. There was no background noise and there was no sign of other people living in a hotel or in the area for that matter. So I decided to add the sound of a loud lady on the laughing and saying "Yeah". I felt like this added the idea of sound The character actually being in a world and not just being isolated in a room. I added a Low Pass EQ setting to her voice to make it seem like she was talking but it was behind a wall The next piece of sound I added to the scene was the sound of night time  traffic when the chase scene was happening. The reason why the scene in general is so quite is to build up tension but I thought adding other sounds of traffic would give more realism to the scene and again make it feel like he is actually in a town instead of being completely isolated.

Adding My own Sounds
When adding in my own Foley sounds effects I thought of a really easy but good effect. When Josh Brolin is counting the money, it almost sounds like a bag is rustling when he is counting it. So I thought that I would get my own bag and rustle it continuously to resemble the that sound and I made it play twice since The money starts to get counted before we see it getting checked. Both recording the sound and putting it into GarrageBand was easy enough. One problem I had along the way was an EQ setting that was on a master track was dampening all the sound and making it less clear. To resolve this I had made sure that the Low Pass setting was only on the Woman's voice and the rest of the sound was not effected in any way. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Children of men intro analysis

Unit 38: Soundtrack Production Proposal

Kingsman Pub secne